Milton H Erickson (1901-1980) - The Healing Power of the Unconscious
is the father of Eriksonian Hypnotherapy. He focused on:
1. how the unconscious mind works
2. indirect, permissive and interspersal techniques
3. brief therapy, family systems therapy, neuro-linguistic programming
4. the skills of observation, validation, cultivation, and challenge
5. applying tailoring, utilization, strategic, competency, destabilization, experiential, naturalistic methods
Milton Erickson's clinical practice conveyed an extremely advanced and nuanced understanding of the human mind that modern science continues to validate to this day. That is, there are deeply established and largely automatic cognitive, perceptual, and affective processes that are actively occurring within individual’s unconscious minds.
But far more importantly, he understood the value of intelligently and creatively acting on this knowledge, and as a result pioneered effective novel approaches to activate the healing potential of the continuously intelligent and creative unconscious’ of his patients.